Thursday, January 10, 2013

Sweet Words...

A coworker was talking to me last weekend about his cruise ship trip with his family.  I remember going on mine with my family back in 2008.  It was a really nice trip.  My coworker and his family had a good time.  What fascinated both him (and me when I went) was how courteous the ship's crew was to him and his family.  He couldn't believe just how polite and helpful that they were.  I told him that I remembered that too from my trip and tried to incorporate the very courteous, respectful and helpful language that I too was treated with, back at work and the public we deal with.

It lasted for a while, but here in New York, it became evident that being too helpful meant that some folks weren't going to stop pushing for more things...things that we were unable to help them with.  So I had to learn to cut certain things short lest that person have me doing something completely outside of my job and workplace.  They needed to call an outside agency or clearly get in contact with another department.

My coworker said that the realization kicked in much sooner for him.  Once he got off the boat, got in a cab in Florida, then the airport and flew back to New York...the realities of our area hit him real quick.  The cab driver who pulled up to take them back to Long Island, refused to get out of his cab in the frigid weather and help put the luggage from his wife and two kids into the trunk.  He sat in the cab the whole time.  Then when they got in, he simply drove them to their location.

I'm sure they left that cab driver a nice tip too. 

Sweet Words.  Sweet Words can never go bad like a piece of fruit.  You can never have too much of it like sugar in your coffee.  Sweet Words quiet down all complaints, aches, ills and anger.

Please
Thank you
I'm sorry, is there anything else I can do for you?
No it's my fault.
Hi, how can I help you?

You wonder why we don't use these words more in relationships and friendships?  You wonder why we have to wait for customer service over the phone or on a ship to be received so well?  We all know that there are mean souls in this world who take kindness for a weakness.  However, that should not prevent us from being kind to one another.  Especially when that person is our significant other, our siblings or our own children.  We should try harder to use Sweet Words.  It is an art...an art we should all aspire to become masters at towards our loved ones.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment